Monday, August 22, 2011

what's new?

First of all, the blog is finally complete. {Barring a few minor changes I want to make.} This is now my only site for all of your Sew Personal needs :) Notice at the top of the blog, there are now tabs with all of my applique designs, fonts, and other information about products and ordering. I'm pretty proud of myself for getting it all on here! It was not a quick and easy task.


Besides the blog update, I have a few more new things that I'm excited about. I got my first shipment of commercial stabilizer from sewingmachine.com today! I.AM.PUMPED. This is what it looks like . . .

I took the plunge based on a recommendation from the applique cafe blog. And I am not disappointed. The initial reason for my order was to get something called "Comfort Cover", which I have not seen an alternative to in the stores.

Basically, you iron it on over the back of the applique so people with sensitive skin aren't bothered by the thread and interfacing. I have one special customer currently with said sensitivity so I wanted to give it a whirl. I can't believe how easy it was. Literally, cut, lay, iron.

And I must say the back feels super-smooth and soft. While I was at it, I went ahead and bought a BUNCH of stabilizer. Now that I have the 6x10 hoop, I'm flying through stabilizer and it's super-expensive even with 40% off at JoAnn's. I purchased 100 pieces of 12"x12" precut squares {$13.99} and 250 pieces of 8"x8" {$16.95} medium cutaway. I didn't try this out today, but I can tell I'm going to love it.

Also, after talking to the very nice man at sewingmachine.com on the phone, I decided to buy this LARGE can of 505 adhesive spray to use in place of the very expensive KK2000 spray I've been using. He's told me it's a much better bang for my buck. {$12.95}

Also, in the first picture you'll notice the ENORMOUS roll of cutaway - 28"x 25 yds. that I bought for $18.99 and the large roll of "Peel and Stick" that I bought for $21.78. The peel & stick was me going out on a limb as I did not read about that on the applique cafe blog. But I did use it today and the only difference I can tell between it and the Sulky "sticky" is that it doesn't have the grid lines. Which I never used in the first place. It is a much better deal. I am pleased. So if you're in the market, I say head over to sewingmachine.com. I think this will pay huge dividends in the end even if it did cost me $115 on the front end!

1 comment:

Mommy and Daddy said...

Yes I use the precuts and the spray and have for awhile. I thinkt the precuts are a little wasteful but I also bought the big roll of stabilizer once and I was wasting that too because I didn't cut most efficiently. You go girl getting all set up. I am slacking off big time these days.